In this post we’ll take a closer look at the Tutorial Application – a learning project for both developers and end-users of SI Suite.
Product information is based on SI Suite 6.2 and Tutorial Application 1.2.
For Application Developers
Once the Tutorial Application has been deployed to SI Server, you can now put yourself in the role as an end-user allowing you to review the visual components and behavior of the application framework with plenty of samples showcasing how data can be presented and interacted with across the numerous visual components. These include maps, charts, tables, group windows containing multiple visual components, and even some custom windows showing how to integrate with other systems external to SI Suite.
What’s the Scope of the Samples in the Tutorial Application?
This post cannot do justice to all the application samples provided with the Tutorial Application, but here are some highlights:
- More than 70 Business Views – providing more than 150 visual component examples for the application interface.
- More than 20 data sources ranging from simple .csv files to database and web services content.
- Multiple Data, Time and Spatial Filter examples.
- Sample R scripts for analytics computation using an R server. These samples require an R server be installed in addition to the core prerequisites – see below.
- Java source code illustrating how the SI Server can be extended with additional custom functionality and behavior.
- Two different versions of the Tutorial Application can be deployed using the Esri Map 2D map window or the Geo Map 3D map window respectively.
- A Help system that includes how to download, import, deploy and run the Tutorial Application.
Prerequisites for Tutorial Application
Unless otherwise stated, the only prerequisite necessary to use the Tutorial Application is a licensed instance of SI Server (available for Windows and Linux) and an installed copy of the SI Studio development environment (available for Windows and Mac).
Samples that make use of the R statistical server environment can be downloaded and used for free from the R website.
For easy evaluation, all the components of SI Suite, the optional R server, and the Tutorial Application run comfortably on a Windows 7 64-bit workstation with 16GB RAM and 3GB disk space.
With both SI Server and SI Studio available and operational, it takes less than 10 minutes to get up and running with the Tutorial Application.
The Tutorial Application is available for download from the SpaceTime Customer Support Portal. You must have a customer support account to access.